Most people underestimate the power of their environment. Everything around you influences you – either positively or negatively. And of course, if you only have these really dull objects surrounding you on your desk, you’re not really going to get any exceptional work done at all. The following are 10 amazing must-haves that you probably haven’t thought of:
- A whiteboard. Why write your ideas in a notebook, when you can have it on display on a whiteboard? It’s basically like a very big post-it. You absolutely need to get one.
- A creativity journal. You know those ideas that you get out of the blue? Well, sometimes you don’t have time to write them down because you are very preoccupied. Get a creativity journal. Any of your ideas, put them into here. Your doodles? Here as well. Any sort of creative things your brain produces that has absolutely nothing to do with work? Put them in here.
- A vision board. The vision board is basically a compilation of pictures of the things that you want to do or want to have. These things will motivate you much better than any other motivation tip that you read on the Internet. Whenever you’re having problems going forward, look at your vision board. You’ll see why you need to get things done.
- Your favorite quote. What’s the most inspiring quote you have ever heard? Print it and post it on your wall. It doesn’t have to be just one. You may have as many as your wall can possibly fit, as long as they have personal meaning or creates emotion in you to push forward.
- A time waster. As counterproductive as it may seem, you need to be able to waste time to stay productive. Instead of allowing yourself to just wander on the Internet, set aside 5 to 10 minutes in every hour to basically just slack off. Do this any way want – Angry Birds on your phone, a Rubik’s cube, or playing Pokémon on the old Game Boy color. Just make sure for 5 to 10 minutes in every hour, you are thinking about work.
- A table lamp. You might think that the light coming from the ceiling is enough to light your paperwork and your desk, but nothing beats a table lamp. It isn’t even about illumination. It’s all about the right amount of light. And the amount of light on your workspace plays a very important part in boosting your motivation.
- A picture of your loved ones. You need to be able to remind yourself we are doing all of this for – why you’re putting so much hard work and effort into this. It’s for your partner, kids, and a better life. Never forget them. Let them be your driving factor.